RARC Meeting Minutes - June 2005
The June meeting of the Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at
7:00pm, Tuesday 6/14/05, by President Eric Van Norman (KFØS), with 32 members and guests present.
Erik presented a check for $300 to Scott Palmer, Red Cross Development Director, in appreciation for all that Red Cross does for us.
- May minutes were approved.
- Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCØGND):
Major transactions this period:
- 2005 Dues: +$65.00
- IBM United Way: +50.40
- Technical committee - Rob (KCØFOW) and John (NØHZN):
- The .82 repeater sounds lousy, the amp is blowing line fuses. We are working on it.
- Brad (KCØQVH) has checked out IRLP, which is like echolink, allowing access through radios only. Don (ADØF) would like amateur WiFi also. These will both be looked at further.
- The WØMXW-2 digipeater will be moved to Plainview.
- A repeater is going up in Wabasha, on 146.725.
- Stew would like to resign from the Tech Committee. See Erik if you would like to be on it.
- APRS has discontinued relay=wide. See the web site for what you need instead.
- Programs - Bill (KØRGR):
- The picnic will be in August at Foster Arend park, bring your own meat and something to pass.
- BPL - Pat (NØADQ):
- The Cincinnati trial has been delayed. Mel (KCØP) will be going there later this month.
- Membership - John (KØKTY):
- We now have 119 members.
- The web site classified section is getting more active again. It works, try it.
- If you change your email address, tell John. Also tell John about calendar items you would like to have on the site.
- Public Service - John (NØHZN):
- For last Saturday's bike race, we tested equipment on Friday night, and nothing worked. By race time things had been worked out, and it went well. The Ride for the Y is next Saturday, the RochesterFest Parade Friday after, in August the Half-Marathon, and in September the Centurion.
- ARES - Bob (ABØBW):
- An Emergency Preparation Exhibit and Demo will be June 21 (a week day), 9-12 at the Fairgrounds.
- ID tags are available.
- Skywarn: we have had two skywarn events, and have had more people coming out than were needed. We may get a group order together for anemometers and signs.
- EOC: Steve (WØSTV) is the new EOC director. He needs 10 people for operations. ARES is linked, but you can't be both EOC and ARES.
- Section: Don (ADØF) reports there are openings for CERT instructors. Watch for the Simulated Emergency Test in October.
- DX and Contesting - Stew (WØSHL):
- St. Paul Island, CY9S (off the North-East coast of Canada), is on the air, as are Sudan, Ascension, and many others. This weekend is a UHF/VHF contest, June 20 the Run for the Bacon, and then Field Day.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:44pm.
The program was by Pat Cahill, NØADQ, who described plans for Field Day. After Pat's presentation, Bob (ABØBW) described this year's Dayton Hamvention, with pictures.
Submitted by Peter (N8MHD).
| Return to Meetings Page | Return to Main Page |