RARC Club Meetings - 2001

RARC club meetings are held each month on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.. The meetings are at the American Red Cross Building, 310 14th Street SW.) Visitors are welcome.

RARC Meeting Minutes

Click on a month in the following table to go to the RARC meeting minutes.

2000 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec


Meeting Highlights - January, 2001

The January meeting of Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Dave Peterson, K7CJO. Introductions were held with 24 members present.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Stew, W0SHL, was approved.
  • Treasurer's Report by Bob, KCGND, was approved.
    Cash - $245.00
    Checking $1058.48
    Savings - $1409.85

Committee Reports

  • Public Service Peggy, KCØCNE, not present.
    John, NØHZN, reported that there are 4 events this summer so far.
    • The Med-City Marathon Memorial day
    • The American Diabetes Association Tour De Cure on June 2nd (Sat).
    • Touchtone Bicycle festival on June 16th
    • Centurion Bike ride in early July
  • Technical Committee John NHZN
    WØMXW repeater is off the air and has been sent in for maintenance and updates. Please listen to 146.220 for people trying to access the repeater. Also the 146.625 or 147.645 repeaters are available.
  • Repeater Control Op Roger, WBISF, not present/no report.
  • ARES - Steve KBPSS
    • ARES will be forming into two groups. An A-team will be made of members that have been part of drills, call outs, and have checked in with the ARES Sunday evening nets. The B-team will consist of all other registered members. This does not in any way limit anyone from participating in AREC, but will help in an ARES call up for radio operators.
    • ARES Sunday night nets will be held on 146.745 (pl 136.5) until the 146.820 repeater is back on line again. All members of RARC Olmsted ARES should check into the nets at 2100 hrs. The ARRL News Letter is transmitted after the net.
    • Each month, on the Sunday after our monthly RARC meeting, there will be a "gator" hunt. The hunt will be held just after the net. The first one will be held on January 14th net. This is a variation of a "fox" hunt. We'll be using the input of the 146.625 repeater (146.025). Check in and see how this works.
    • ARES is looking for more people interested in becoming ARES net control station operators. There will be ARES personnel to assist you on your first few time at NCS, so don't feel this will be a test by fire. If interested call KB0PSS or contact him on the Sunday night net.
    • The first NWS Skywarn class will be held on March 28 at Diggers in Kasson. There will also be a non-certified Storm Chaser class at the American Legion in Stewartville on February 22 starting at 7:00PM.
    • Anyone interested in taking qualified ARES Red Cross classes contact KBØPSS.
    • There will be several ARES members going to Duluth on February 3 though the 6 to help with communication for the John BearGrease Dog Race. Anyone interested in going contact KB0PSS.
    • Steve also talked about the Public Service Honor Roll (PSHR) and passed out a sheet with details.
  • Education Mel, KCØP
    Mel reported that the last Amateur Radio Class had 6 students. All passed various levels of testing. KCØJKO, Rob, a new General Class, attended our meeting. Those who graduated the Amateur Radio classes are given a membership to the RARC for the current year.

New Business

  • Dave K7CJO announced that RARC will have a recruiting booth at the Skywarn Classes.
  • Bill, ACØW, from Austin, gave a report for the Minnesota QSO Party to be held on February 3th. All members present received a copy of the details for this event. You can see the RARC Web Page for more details.
  • John, KØKTY, gave an update on the RARC Web page.
  • Pat, NØADQ, talked about Field Day. It is held on the 4th weekend in June. (Note: This was originally stated as the "4th weekend in July." The Field Day dates are June 23 and 24, 2001. Corrected by Stew, WØSHL, RARC Secretary). The Secretary was asked to send a letter to the Sisters at Assisi Heights requesting the use of the land for the event.
  • Mel, KCØP, talked about the January VHF Sweepstakes. He handed out the reporting forms and summarized the rules for the contest. See the RARC Web page for additional details or links.
  • John, NØHZN, reported that Midwinter Madness will be held at Concordia University in St Paul, MN on March 24th 8:30AM to 3:00PM.
  • John, NØHZN, reported that a group of Club members who are interested in APRS will travel to Austin for their next club meeting. A presentation will be given for installing an APRS repeater in the Austin area.
  • John, KØKTY talked about "Project Focus." Everyone was asked to fill out a questionnaire and attend a meeting to generate ideas that would make the Club more valuable to the Amateur Radio Operators and to the community at large.
  • Georg, NØCET, donated the prize he received at the 2000 Skywarn class to the RARC. A drawing for the Gift certificate to Aviary Restaurant was held and $9.00 was collected for the Club.

Adjourned @ 8:15 PM

Program

Pat, NØADQ, gave a presentation on operating mobile HF. He showed the equipment he uses including "screwdriver" antenna. He made several excellent suggestions on getting started operating mobile, some safety items, and some of his own experiences.

Submitted by Stew, WØSHL
Meeting Highlights - February, 2001

The February meeting of Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Dave Peterson, K7CJO. Introductions were held with 36 members present.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Stew, WØSHL, was approved with 1 correction.
  • The Treasure's report for yearend 2000 was circulated at the January meeting.
    Treasurer's Report for Tuesday, February 13, 2001, by Bob, KCGND, was approved.
    Checking: $ 1603.68
    Savings: $ 1411.22
    Cash & Checks: $ 170.00
    Total: $3184.90
    Note: Above does not include outstanding bill of $400 plus shipping for the 82 repeater repairs.
Committee Reports
  • Public Service - Peggy, KCØCNE, reported that there are 4 events being planned
    • The Med-City Marathon Memorial day
    • The American Diabetes Association Tour De Cure on June 2nd (Sat).
    • Touchtone Bicycle festival on June 16th
    • Centurion Bike ride in early July
    She asked for volunteers to help coordinate and to work at these events.
  • Technical Committee - Bob, NØEST, with John, NHZN, reporting o WØMXW repeater is back on the air. Several fixes were made to it. Stew, WØSHL, and John, NØHZN, are working on the communication link to the repeater.
  • The technical committee is looking into moving the APRS repeater from the Simpson to a water tower in Elton Hills. More next month. Everything else is running OK.
  • Repeater Control Op - Roger, WBISF, reported no changes.
  • ARES - Steve KBPSS
    • Steve is working on a drill for Olmsted Country
    • New net control list for the ARES Sunday night list is now available on the Web page.
    • Gator hunt will be held on 146.625 on Sunday night, February 18th, after the net.
    • Mayo ARES group will have an interactive drill in the spring. Several other groups will also be involved.
  • Education - Mel, KCØP
    Mel asked about the interest level in a code class. Several responded and a code class on the 82 repeater should be starting soon. Mel also collected VHF Log Sheets
  • Web Site - John, KØKTY
    • Several changes have been made during the past month.
    • The results for the Focus Study are posted there.
  • Field Day, Pat, NØADQ, had nothing at this time.
  • Library - Peter, N8MHD, has agreed to head a new committee that will concentrate on providing Amateur Radio books to local school libraries. He asked for help from those members interested to join get involved is this project.
    • ARRL have a group of books available for such a project.
    • Radio Shack is interested in donating some of their publications.

Old Business:

  • Project Focus - John, KØKTY, made a summary presentation. Over 200 ideas were generated and 36 have been identified to be worked on during 2001. See the RARC Web Page for details. John thanked all those who participated. Dave, K7CJO, challenged the Club members to get involved. Ideas are great only after they are implemented. Dave thanked John for the significant of effort and time he spent on this very important project. Now its up to us, the members, to pick the ideas we want to work on!
  • Bob, KCØGND, made a presentation on an Indoor/Outdoor Ham Swap Fest that would be held at Diggers in Kasson on Sunday, April 22nd. A proposal to have the Club back this effort was made, seconded, and passed. $100 was set aside for renting the space at Diggers. Bob passed a signup around for members to indicate their interest in helping.

New Business:

  • Dave, K7CJO, talked about an offer made by KH2N, Brent, to sell the APRS+SA program shareware registration to Club members for $30.00, regularly $59.00. Five people were needed and seven signed up. Stew, WØSHL, will handle the paperwork and will help get people started with APRS+SA.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.

Program

Dave, WØEAS, talked about the work being completed at the EOC and showed some of the new equipment. He discussed the rational behind the changes. Other areas covered were the future NWS Skywarn Class that will be held on March 28 at 7:00 PM at Diggers in Kasson and the Storm Chaser class that will be held on February 22 at 7:00 PM at the American Legion in Stewartville . This class is not related to the Skywarn Class and does not certify attendees. Dave presented the Club with a $1000 check from Olmsted County in appreciation of the many years of service the Club has given to the county.


The Rochester Amateur Radio Club received a $1,000 donation from Olmsted Emergency Operations Center manger Dave Carr, WØEAS, at the February club meeting. The donation is recognition of the emergency services support provided by RARC members.
RARC President Dave K7CJO (left) receives the donation check from Dave WØEAS, manager of the Olmsted EOC.

Submitted by Stew, WØSHL

Meeting Highlights - March, 2001

The March meeting of Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). Introductions were held with 38 members and 2 guests present.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Stew (WØSHL) was approved as written.
  • Treasurer's Report for Tuesday, March 13, 2001 by Bob (KCGND) was approved
    .
    Checking: $ 2665.00
    Savings: $ 1412.32
    Cash & Checks: $ 105.00
    Total: $4182.32

Committee Reports

  • Public Service - Peggy (KCØCNE) reported that there are 4 public service events planned for 2001 so far. All have coordinators assigned and Peggy will be concentrating on getting maximum publicity for the Club through these events.
  • Technical Committee - Bob (NØEST)
    • The communication link on the WØMXW repeater is fixed. AutoDial numbers for non-members will be removed before the next Club meeting. Any current member can have an AutoDial number. If you are interested, see me, Stew (W0SHL).
    • The Simpson APRS Digipeater has been turned off. In its place an APRS Digipeater has been placed at a water tower in Elton Hills. It is running on lower power than Simpson but will be upgraded to 150 watts output by March 21st. We will be testing the new site and comparing it to the Simpson site. Bob (NØEST) will gather information and report back to the next Tech Meeting.
    • All other equipment is running OK.
  • Repeater Control Op - Roger (WBISF) reported no changes.
  • ARES - Steve (KBPSS)
    • ARES Camp-o-Rama will be held on March 24th and 25th, noon to noon, at Prairie Island, Winona, MN. Call Russ (NØQK) at (507) 452-6888 for more details.
    • The Tri State Amateur Radio Club in Cresco, IA will have a full day of emergency training on May 5th starting at 9:00AM. Cost to attend is $18.00. If you are interested see Steve.
    • 13 net control operators are ready to conduct the ARES Sunday night net.
    • Next Gator hunt will be held on 146.820 on Sunday night, March 18th, , at 7:00PM. Sam (K0YAK) will be the Gator.
    • The Skywarn Spotter Training Program will be held at Diggers in Kasson on March 28th with doors opening at 6:00PM.
  • Education/Testing - Steve (KBØPSS) reported that the next testing session is March 15th.
  • Web Site - John (KØKTY). Check out the Web Page for the changes John has made during the past month. Members page shows all current members. This is a good way to learn the newer member's call.
  • Field Day - Pat (NØADQ) gave a great introduction to the upcoming Field Day. We should have lots of fun. Now is not too soon to the start planning on what you are going to do that weekend. There are many ways you can help. Just see Pat (NØADQ)! Stew (WØSHL) said he would host a practice operating session a couple of weeks before Field Day at his home. Those interested could spend some time on the air to get the feel of operating HF. Watch for further news on this.
  • Library - Peter (N8NHD) reported he has had some input on what books in addition to the ARRL Amateur Radio group should be included in a Library. One addition, The Complete DXer, was suggested but is no longer in print. If you have one or know where you can get one, please see Peter. Dave (K7CJO) announced that Radio Shack is interested in donating a set of Amateur Radio related book from their store to the project. Phil (KBØSZW), manager of the Rochester Radio Shack, added some details and expressed his and Radio Shack's interest in educational projects like this.
  • RARC Indoor/Outdoor Swapfest - Steve (KBØPSS), Mike (KCØGNF) and Bob (KCØGND) gave an update on this event. It will take place on Sunday, April 22 in Kasson. Be sure Hams from other locations around Rochester understand this is not a repeat of the Roch ARC HamFest we have had in years past. It has a new and different approach for the Rochester ARC to meet the needs of the area Hams. See either Mike or Bob for more details.
Old Business:
  • John (NØHZN) talked about getting new jacket, hats, t-shirts, etc for the Club. The Club voted on colors and Blue/Gold won 20 votes to 4 over Green/Gold. John will have additional information including prices and maybe some samples at the April Club meeting.
  • Austin APRS - John (NØHZN) reported he is working with them. Bob (KØIHV), also a member of the Austin Club, report that they voted to allow an APRS Digi Station to be installed at their site with the stipulation that there would be no cost to the Austin Club. John will contact the Austin Club President and develop additions plans to put the station on the air.
  • Mike (KCØGNF) gave an update on the changes taking place at the EOC. He says they are planning to be ready for operations before the storm season.
New Business:
  • Steve (KBØPSS) reported that Ron Fraga, WA1MXP, a past member of the Roch ARC, died in a diving accident while cave diving in Mexico.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:55PM.

Program

Tony (AAØSM) gave an interesting talk on QRP and QRPp operating on HF. QRPp is very low power operation, less than 1 watt. He brought several radios he built and operated. Also, he showed other pieces of associated QRP equipment. Dave (W9SUL), a guest at our Club meeting, talked about operating QRP. Dave has made many contacts around the world running QRP. Pat (N0ADQ) also showed a couple of radios he built for QRP. Who says you need a kilowatt?
See QRP web page for more information.

Submitted by Stew, WØSHL

Meeting Highlights - April, 2001

The April meeting of Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). Introductions were held with 32 Hams and 1 guest present.

Jennifer Pederman from the American Diabetes Association spoke about the Diabetes "Tour de Cure" and thanked the RARC for their help with the Diabetes events over the past years.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Stew (WØSHL) was approved as written.
  • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCØGND): Tuesday, April 10, 2001
    Checking: $ 2570.27
    Savings: $ 1413.48
    Cash & Checks: $ 55.00
    Total: $ 4038.73
Major expenditures this period:
  • Club Liability Insurance - $250.00

Committee Reports

  • Public Service - Peggy (KCØGNE) covered the public service events that are planned for 2001. She is developing folders for each event that can be used by future coordinators. Details of these events are on our web page. John (NØHZN) spoke about the events he is coordinating. If you are interested in helping with any of the events as listed on the web page, contact the coordinator.
  • Technical Committee - Bob (NØEST)
    • All Club repeaters in Rochester are running. We will be looking into a UPS for the 82 repeater. Also, we will finish the modem work and check the battery. Any current Club member can have an AutoDial number. If you are interested, see me, Stew (WØSHL).
    • Testing of the WØMXW-2 APRS digi-peater continues. Coverage seems to be slightly less than the Simpson site. A new 2 meter antenna would probably improve the coverage.
    • Work continues on the APRS digi-peater site in Austin.
  • Repeater Control Op - Roger (WBISF) reported no changes.
  • Education/Testing - Steve (KCØPSS) reported that the next testing session is May 10th. Code class by KCØP is on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 9:00 PM on 146.580 MHZ.
  • Web Site - John (KØKTY). More changes have been made to the Web Site. All membership data is current. John will add a "RARC Classified" page where members can list Amateur Radio related items for sale or ones they are looking for. See John if you want something listed.
  • Library - Peter (N8NHD) reported he will be getting the Radio Shack books. The next step is to start the fund raising. He will get with Dave (K7CJO) to develop a plan.
  • RARC Indoor/Outdoor Swapfest - Bob (KCØGND) gave an update on this event. There will be a Club table where a Club member can put a few items for sale. The total area for each member is about 18" by 18". In order to put items on the Club table, you must donate hour helping out with Swapfest. See Bob (KCØGND) if interested.
  • Skywarn - Steve (KBØPSS)
    • Steve reported there is one more spotter certification class on April 25th at 1:00PM at the Stewartville Legion.
    • April 16th through the 20th is Severe Weather Awareness week. Olmsted Skywarn will be activated twice during that week. Skywarn activation and operation is on the 146.745 repeater (136.5 tone).
  • A.R.E.S. - Steve (KB0PSS)
    • Steve asked everyone to monitor 146.820 repeater if you think there are conditions that may require ARES.
    • Mayo ARES drill will be May 10th starting with a dinner at 5:30PM at the Methodist Hospital cafeteria. Mayo ARES members should plan accordingly.
    • On May 5th the Tri-State radio club in Cresco, IA is sponsoring a one-day emergency training seminar. Cost is $18.00. Transportation is available. See Steve (KBØPSS). (Also check Events web page.)
    • A new preamble for the ARES net is available on the Web site. All NCS operators should download and use it.
Old Business/New Business - None

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.

Program

Dave (KØVH) with help from Bob (KCØIDR) gave a good review of a new digital HF mode called PSK31. They including what equipment you need, what programs to use, and how to operate. They ended the presentation with a "live" demo. (See PSK31 web page.)

Submitted by Stew, WØSHL

Meeting Highlights - May, 2001

The May meeting of Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). The meeting was held at the EOC. Introductions were held with 42 members present.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Stew (WØSHL) was approved as written.
  • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCØGND) was approved.
    Checking: $ 2774.05
    Savings: $ 1414.73
    Cash & Checks: $ 30.00
    Total: $ 4218.78
    Major transactions this period:
    Swapfest expenses $ 150.00
    Swapfest income $ 439.80

Committee Reports

  • Public Service
    • Peggy Fierst KCØGNE is looking for communications for the Rochesterfest Parade. Contact her if you can help out,
    • John Scott NØHZN is looking for communication help for the Tour de Cure Race on June 2 and the Touch-Tone Race in Plainview on June 16. Contact him if you can help out.
    • Pam Judd KCØCJM asked for communication operators for the Med-City Marathon on May 27. She needs help at water stops and relay sights.

      Sign up sheet was passed around for all the events above. All information is posted on the RARC web site.

  • ARES Report
    • Mayo drill for May 10 - Both hospitals was to have a mock transfer of patients and both radio sights will be operational. The drill was canceled due to antenna problems at RMS and will be rescheduled for June. Listen to the ARES Sunday night net at 9:00 pm for information.
    • Report of the Cresco Seminar. Seven people went down to Iowa in the IEMS van. The seminar dealt with the New Madrin earthquake zone in Missouri, what will happen in the immediate area if an earthquake occurred, and how it may affect us in Minnesota. The Iowa Section Manager talked about ARES and disasters. A program on hazmat materials and what the effects of the materials can consist of by the DOT placard of the transporting vehicle. We also discussed the incident command structure and how ARES can fit in.
    • The RARC took up the challenge of the Stillwater ARC to put a foxhunt team together and participate in the invitational offered to all ARC clubs. More information on this later.
    • Reminder - we have a Gator Hunt once a month on the Sunday evening of the week after the RARC meeting staring at 8:00 pm on the 146.820 repeater.
    • Steve Wiebke KBØPSS is looking for communication personal for a county drill of June 2 staring at 7:00 am at Chester Woods Park. K-9 SAR needs field and base operators. Should end by 12:00 noon if interested. Contact Steve Wiebke on the Sunday night ARES net.
    • Peggy Fierst KCØGNE reported the Special Olympics committee was asking for help with this special event. This would not require any communications just help with each event.
  • RARC Website
    John Reed KØKTY reported that all Swapfest pictures and info has been posted on the web site. If you have any information that you feel should be posted, contact him.
Old Business/New Business
  • RARC Library Donations
    Radio Shack manager, Phil Sims KBØSZW, brought the books for the ham library. Peter Wollen N8MHD will distribute them to the designated libraries to promote Amateur Radio.
  • Repeaters
    Mike Christian KCØGNF announced that there will no longer be a courtesy beep on the 146.745 EOC repeater due to the fact that in the near future it will be linked to repeaters in Austin, La Crosse, and Twin Cities. More information later.

The meeting was adjourned.

Program

The RARC members present reviewed the new Amateur Radio stations/equipment and future computer logging of the EOC Communications Room.

Dave Carr WØEAS /Mike Christian KCØGNF supplied hazmat books to those people that attended the recent Cresco, Iowa seminar. Due to a mix up on getting them, the Cresco Amateur Radio Club was going to buy them with their dues. Dave saved them the cost of our books. Thanks!

Submitted by Steve, KBØPSS for WØSHL

Meeting Highlights - June, 2001

The meeting of Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). The meeting was held at the Red Cross Building. Introductions were held with 35 members and guests present.

Reports

Secretary's report for May by Stew (WØSHL) was approved as written by Steve, KBØPSS.
Treasurer's Report: Tuesday, June 12, 2001

Checking: $ 2050.90
Savings: $ 2415.61
Cash & Checks: $ 30.00
Total: $ 4496.51

Major transactions this period:

American Diabetes Association deposit $ +250.00

Committee Reports

  • Technical Committee report by John, NØHZN. The 625 repeater is having some problems. Could be due to moisture as it seems to happen after a rain. John will investigate.
  • Public Service report by John, NØHZN, Pam, KCØCJM, and Steve, KBØPSS.
    • Med City went very well. Twenty one Hams helped with the marathon.
    • Tour de Cure also went well. John read an appreciation letter thanking those who help.
    • Touchstone Energy Bike Race is coming up on June 16th. More people are needed to help.
    • RochesterFest Parade will be held on June 22nd. Please help if you can. Bring a headset and note pads.
  • Web Site by John, KØKTY. Several additions were reported. John sold a handheld that he listed on the web site and Stew, WØSHL, has someone interested in his Amp.
  • Field Day is the program for this meeting.
  • Education by Mel, KCØP. Classes will be held this fall through the Rochester Community Education Program. Ten sessions will be held with a heavy emphasizes on class demos.
  • Library Books by Peter, N8MHD. The donation of Ham Radio books from Radio Shack will by given to the Rochester Public Library.
  • ARES by Steve KBØPSS
    • The RARC will participate in the Stillwater ARC foxhunt to be held on Aug 10th.
    • Reminder - we have a Gator Hunt once a month on the Sunday evening of the week after the RARC meeting staring at 8:00 pm on the 146.820 repeater.
    • Don't forget that the ARES net is held on Sundays at 9:00PM.
Old Business/New Business
  • Dave, K7CJO, talked about the Club Picnic. If the Club members want it, it will be held on August 19th, probably at the Chester Woods Park. We will discuss it at the July meeting.
  • John, NØHZN showed a new emblem for the Club jackets. It is the one that you see on the Club web site. The design was approved and John will pursue prices. More next meeting!

The meeting was adjourned at 7:36PM..

Program

Pat, NØADQ, gave a presentation on Field Day. He also demo-ed the Kenwood TS-850 radio and the Logging program that we will be using. Randall Trapp talked about past Rochester Field Day events.

Submitted by WØSHL

Meeting Minutes - July, 2001

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by president Dave K7CJO. Approximately 25 members were present, including 3 visitors and 2 new members (making 103 members total).

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Stew (WØSHL) was approved as written.
  • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCØGND) was approved.
  • Vice President's Report by Terry WØVB: The meeting program for August will be the club picnic on August 19 at Chester Woods park, east of Rochester on Highway 14, starting at 11:00 am. Bring meat to cook and a dish to pass, charcoal will be provided. Also bring gadgets and rigs. Volunteers are needed to help reserve the pavillion, starting about 8:00 am, contact Pam KCØCJM or Terry WØVB.

    With feedback from the attendees, topics were selected for programs for September, October, and November. December's meeting program will be the annual Pizza Christmas party.

Committee Reports
  • Technical committee - Several antenna sites are being considered as possible replacements for the Simpson site. The 145.625 repeater has quit acting up, possibly because it has not rained for several weeks.

  • Public Service - John NØHZN, The Rochester Centurion is coming up July 14. About 15 club members will be participating. The following event will be a half-marathon held by the Rochester Track Club on August 18.

  • Field Day - Pat NØADQ. Pat gave a summery of the RARC Field Day event held at Assisi Heights on June 23-24. The total points for the 2001 event was 3344 which was a slight increase over 2000, The total number of QSOs was down this year compared to 2001, particularly on the SSB phone station. Over 50 hams visited this site this year. Overall, a very successful RARC Field Day event thanks to co-chairs Pat NØADQ and Mel KCØP.

  • Web Site - John KØKTY. Information on recent public service events and RARC Field Day event is available on the RARC web site. John also summarized the implementation status of the 36 Project Focus ideas (see web site for latest status.)

  • Education - Pat NØADQ confirmed that the ham class leading to a Technician class license is scheduled to begin in late September. Class information and enrollment instructions are available on the RARC web site.

  • ARES - Steve KBØPSS. The club will not participate in the foxhunt competition August 11, but practice will continue and we'll try to be ready for next year's competition. There is a gator hunt each Sunday after a club meeting, at 8:00 pm before the ARES net. There will be a Mayo ARES drill sometime in August.

New Business/Old Business

None

The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 pm.

Program

The program was provided by Glen Johnson WØGJ, who used speakerphone and videotape to present last year's A52A Dxpedition to Bhutan. This was a major undertaking in a beautiful location, and it was a fascinating look at a world-class operation. Copies of the videotape are available for approximately $20.

Submitted by Peter N8MHD

Meeting Minutes - September, 2001

The September meeting of the Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM, Tuesday 9/11, by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). A moment of silence was observed for the day's events. Introductions were held with 23 Hams present.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Peter (N8MHD) was approved as written.
  • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCGND): Tuesday, September 11, 2001

    Checking: $ 1179.05
    Savings: $ 2419.37
    Cash & Checks: $ 30.00
    Total: $ 3628.42
    Major transactions this period:

    • WMXW-2 - $349.00
    • Equipment Insurance - $299.00

Committee Reports

  • Bylaws Committee - Bob (KCGND).
    The bylaws committee will be proposing revised bylaws next month, mostly consisting of modernizing and bring them into agreement with current practices.

  • Technical Committee - Stew (WSHL)
    • The 82 repeater is working well. We will purchase a UPS for it to handle small voltage drops. Site Cleanup will be this Thursday, Sept 13th at 6:30PM.
    • 625 repeater is working Ok with the exception of a small problem a couple of weeks ago. The Club will form a committee to investigate replacing the 625 repeater. It is more than 20 years old and need replacing. Anyone wanting to serve on this committee see Stew (WØSHL).
    • Simpson Site: Packet backbone is not working and will not be fixed due to usage. A new controller for the APRS and Remote Base functions is very much needed. The current controller is very old and not much is known about the circuits, micro-code. Anyone interested in this project, see Stew (WØSHL).
    • Water Tower APRS WØMXW-2 has a new antenna and up and running.
    • Letter requesting funding for the Austin APRS digi station has been sent to two Austin area service groups.
    • K7CJO and WØSHL met with KTTC people asking for them to continue allowing us to use space on their tower at the Simpson site. In the past we shared the cost with Roger, WBØISF. We are now asking for KTTC to donate the space.
    • The RARC will have several items for next years RARC Swapfest.

  • Education/Testing
    The class through Community Ed starts this month. There will be an exam session 9/18.

  • A.R.E.S. - Steve (KBØPSS)
    • Walmart has a new batch of yellow shirts, which are the ARES activity uniform.
    • On Monday 9/24 6:30 pm at the Red Cross building, there will be a class on NTS traffic.
    • The Minnesota Emergency Test will be 10/6. More information will be available on the Sunday evening ARES nets.
    • There is a regular breakfast at 6:30 am Saturdays at Grandma's, and again at 9:00 am at Brother's in the room in back.
    • Some of the club code oscillators are missing. If you know of one, bring it in.
    • At 7:30 pm on Mondays there is a Skywarn net on the 645 repeater.
    • RARC did not participate at the August Foxhunt competition in Stillwater, but hopes to next year.
    • ARES was on standby in Minnesota today 9/11. As a general practice, if you think there may be ARES activity, listen for an hourly report on the 645 repeater.

Old Business/New Business

  • Bob (KCØGND) noted that new memberships in ARRL can be obtained through the RARC, and then $15 of the $39 dues goes directly to the RARC. This arrangement is temporary, so anyone interested should contact Bob soon. ARRL renewals can also be done through the club, but we don't get any money from them.
  • Dave (K7CJO) noted the upcoming Boy Scouts JOTA in October.
  • This is the last month that Dave (K7CJO) will be editing the Flyer. If the Flyer is to continue, a new editor is needed.
  • Club elections are coming up, and candidates are needed.
  • Terrry (WØVB) reported that next month's program will be a new-equipment show and tell. Anyone who wishes to bring equiment should contact him.
  • John (NØHZN) noted that Austin is having a swapfest 10/6 starting at 8:00 am. The Twin Cities hamfest is coming up 10/27

Program

Terry (WØVB) presented an overview of resources available on the internet related to amateur radio.

Submitted by Peter N8MHD

Meeting Minutes - October, 2001

The October meeting of the Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM, Tuesday 10/9, by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). Introductions were held with 24 members and 2 guests present.

Reports

  • Secretary's report by Peter (N8MHD) was approved as written.
  • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCGND): Tuesday, October 9, 2001
    Checking: $ 1086.24
    Savings: $ 2420.56
    Cash & Checks: $ 31.00
    Total: $ 3537.80

    Major transactions this period: None
Committee Reports
  • Technical Committee - Stew (WSHL)
    • Gene Groby volunteered to explore currently available repeaters, with the goal of informing the committee about possibilities for replacing the .625 machine.
    • The UPS unit for the .82 repeater will be installed soon.
    • Simpson Site: Nobody has volunteered to recode the APRS controller, we still need someone.
    • Water Tower APRS WØMXW-2 is not yet active, but will be tested soon.
    • Funding for the Austin APRS digi station has been denied by Austin groups, we are still looking.
    • In other APRS news, there is a Minnesota web page: www.aprsmn.com. Also note the PCSAT by Bob Bruninga, giving satellite APRS capability.
  • Bylaws Committee - Bob (KCGND)
    The bylaws committee presented proposed text for revised bylaws. (The bylaws draft can be viewed at http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.rjhart1/bylaws.htm .) The revisions clean up procedures and revise language. The text will be posted on the club website, and hard copy will be mailed to the 11 members who do not have internet access. The revised bylaws will be voted on at the November meeting.
  • December meeting - Dave (K7CJO) noted that while the December meeting has traditionally been a pizza party, it doesn't have to be. Members should come to the November meeting with proposals for how we should party.
  • Public Service - John (NØHZN)
    • There were 5 events this year including the Touchstone Bike Race for the first time. A date has been chosen for it for next year (June 15, 2002) and other events are also settling on dates.
    • Jackets and shirts with club logos will be available soon, at prices around $43 for jackets and $12-$18 for shirts. Subsidies are being looked for.
  • JOTA - Bob (ABØBW, new call)
    The Boy Scout JOTA is October 19 - 21, and at least 3 club members will be operating, at least 9am - 5pm Saturday and Sunday. The site will be either Gamehave Scout Reservation or Bear Cave Park in Stewartville.
  • Education - Pat (NØADQ)
    The class is running now, and has about 11 members. They are focussing on Tech, but some may go for code too.
  • ARES - Steve (WØSTV)
    • The Minnesota Simulated Emergency Test was last Saturday. It went well, and some problems were uncovered.
    • Steve met with IEMS discussing possibilities, and amateur radio is likely to be important to them. Another meeting is coming up in December.
    • A Camporama will be held at Chester Woods October 21. Information is available on the web site, and also on the Sunday night net.
  • Nominating Committee - Steve (WØSTV).
    Dave Natz is a possible nominee for Vice President. Anyone else interested should contact Steve.
  • Reminders:
    • RARC members can join ARRL as new members through the club, and then $15 of the $39 dues goes to RARC.
    • The Bhutan group is leaving October 20, and their operating time will include the CQ WWDX SSB contest. Pat (NØADQ) will be operating as A52PC.
    • The Hamfest Minnesota is October 27. Several club members will be going up, and carpooling is possible.

    Program

    Members Terry (WØVB), Bob (ABØBW), Pat (NØADQ), Steve (WØSTV), and Fred (KØIU) presented new equipment and software.

    Submitted by Peter N8MHD

    Meeting Minutes - November, 2001

    The November meeting of the Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:00 PM, Tuesday 11/13, by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO). Introductions were held with 22 members present.

    Reports

    • Secretary's report by Peter (N8MHD) was approved as written.
    • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCGND):
      Checking: $ 1026.78
      Savings: $ 2422.28
      Cash + Checks: $ 200.00
      Total: $ 3648.06

      Major transactions this period:
      • 5 ARRL new memberships, +$75 net
      • 3 paid 2002 dues, $85
      • Telephones - $49.32

    Committee Reports

    • Technical Committee - Stew (WSHL)
      • The UPS unit for the .82 repeater has arrived, and will be installed.
      • The .625 repeater is working fine. The committee is collecting information on a replacement.
      • APRS in Austin is up, W0AZR-1.
      • The Simpson site has SWR > 5:1, and is shut down. The site will be retained for now, depending on KTTC's policies.
      • The watertower digipeater is up and running. Dave will get a written agreement from the city covering our use of the site.
      • The 440 repeater at Assisi is running fine.
      • The DX cluster arrangement has changed, users now connect at 144.970 to W0SHL, which then connects via the internet to the Cities.
      • Brian Stockman is donating an FT102 to the club.
      • The Technical committee will make an inventory of club equipment.
    • Bylaws Committee - Bob (KCGND). Revised bylaws were presented for a vote, and were approved by the members present. The text of the new bylaws is posted on the club website. Hard copy will be mailed to the 11 members who do not have internet access.
    • Web Site - John (K0KTY). Camporama pictures, a JOTA report, and routine club business such as meeting minutes, membership lists, and the dues schedule, are now posted. We are now past a year with the new address http://www.rarchams.org, and we have had approximately 13000 hits from a wiide variety of sources.
    • December meeting - Members present voted to have the December party meeting at Golden Corral Buffet.
    • JOTA - The RARC station for the Boy Scout JOTA had small turnout, but made some good contacts (Japan, ISS). Next year we will make arrangements with more lead time.
    • Library - Peter (N8MHD). One book recommended for the library was "The Complete Dxer" by R. B. Locher. I now have a copy of the book; it doesn't look like a good choice for general circulation in the library, but it is good reading for anyone interested in HF operation. If you wish to borrow the book, contact Peter.
    • ARES - Steve (WSTV)
      • Remember the Sunday night ARES net, and the Gator hunt every Sunday following a meeting at 7:30 on .82.
      • In January, Steve will propose the following: that all RARC members automatically be ARES members, with three levels of participation. Minimally trained members will be Level C, irregularly trained members will be Level B, and Level A members will have to have regular training and participation in ARES activities. A program will be offered giving more information on this proposal.
    • Nominating Committee - Dave Natz was nominated for Vice President. Since he and the returning Secretary, Treasurer, and President are unopposed, they will be next year's officers.
    • Reminder:
      • There will be an exam session 12/13.

    The meeting was adjourned at 7:50.

    Program

    Stew (WSHL) presented the joys, difficulties and dangers of putting up a tower. The moral is, have it done by a professional.

    Submitted by Peter N8MHD.
    Meeting Minutes - November, 2001

    The December meeting of the Rochester Amateur Radio Club was called to order at 7:23 pm, Tuesday , 12/11, by President Dave Peterson (K7CJO), at the Golden Corral restaurant. Approximately 26 members were present.

    Reports

    • Secretary's report by Peter (N8MHD) was defered till January.
    • Treasurer's Report by Bob (KCØGND): Tuesday, December 11, 2001
      Checking: $ 1112.40
      Savings: $ 2422.28
      Cash + Checks: $ 151.00
      Total: $ 3685.68
      Major transactions this period:
      • UPS for '.82 - $99.05
      • 2002 dues - $315.00
      • Telephones - $49.02

    Committee Reports

    • Technical Committee - Stew (WØSHL)
      • WØMXW-1 is being shut down, and the phone line to the Simpson site is being shut off.
      • The .82 repeater is working fine.
      • APRS in Austin is up, WØAZR-1, and working fine.
      • The UPS was installed on WØMXW.
      • The watertower digipeater WØMXW-2 is up and running. The amp will be moved from the Simpson site to the watertower site.
      • A Rochester Linux group is interested in developing a wireless ISP with RARC. The Technical committee will bring the proposal to the club, but recommends against.
    • ARES - Steve (WØSTV)
      There was a drill 12/5 testing the radios at SMH and RMH. Some problems were found with antenna connections at SMH, and difficulties operating the radio at RMH. Regular drills should be run to make sure the system is operable.
    • Nominating Committee - The following candidates for club officers were submitted:
      • President: Dave Peterson (K7CJO)
      • Vice-President: Dave Naatz, (KØVH)
      • Secretary: Peter Wollan, (N8MHD)
      • Treasurer: Bob Hart, (KCØGND)
      There were no nominations from the floor. A motion to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot was made, seconded, and passed.

    Announcements

    • January's program will review Logging software. If anyone wants to demo their favorite program, contact Dave Naatz, KØVH.
    • Swapfest 2002 will be at Digger's in Kasson on Sunday, June 9th. Details will be posted on the web site.

    The meeting was adjourned at 7:32.

    Program

    Following the meeting, Pat Cahill (NØADQ) presented pictures from his recent Bhutan Dxpedition participation.

    Submitted by Bob KCØGND for Peter N8MHD.

| Meetings Index | Return to Main Page |